Connect with us

Sports

NPFL Slams Kwara United With Stadium Ban, ₦9 Million Fine, Three-Point Deduction

Published

on

Kwara United have been hit hard by the Nigeria Premier Football League (NPFL) following the ugly scenes that trailed their rescheduled Matchday 22 clash with Rivers United in Ilorin.

The league confirmed on Thursday that the Harmony Boys will serve a stadium ban, pay a total of ₦9 million in fines and forfeit three points and three goals from their tally after crowd disorder disrupted Wednesday’s 1-1 draw at the Kwara State Stadium.

Tempers boiled over at the end of the match after Rivers United grabbed a stoppage-time equaliser through Boluwaji Sholumade. What had been a fiercely contested fixture quickly descended into chaos, with footage circulating on social media showing enraged supporters chasing match officials and confronting members of the visiting team.

In its official communication, the NPFL said the Ilorin club breached several provisions of its regulatory framework. The league ruled that Kwara United failed to provide adequate security, allowing unauthorised individuals access to restricted areas.

It also held the club responsible for failing to control supporters whose actions led to the harassment and assault of match officials and Rivers United personnel, some of whom were injured.

The league described the conduct as one that brought the game into disrepute.

Financial sanctions were issued across multiple counts. Kwara United were fined ₦2 million for inadequate security and ₦1 million for failing to control their supporters.

A further ₦2 million was imposed for assaults on officials, ₦1 million for unsporting behaviour, ₦1 million for holding match officials and Rivers United officials hostage after the match, and ₦2 million to cover medical treatment and related damages.

Beyond the financial penalties, the sporting consequences are severe. The three-point and three-goal deduction has pushed Kwara United down to 19th position on 26 points from 26 matches, leaving them in serious relegation danger with 12 fixtures left to play.

The club must also take their remaining home matches away from Ilorin, with the MKO Abiola Sports Arena in Abeokuta approved as their temporary base for the rest of the season. They have been directed to identify those involved in the disturbances for arrest and prosecution and were given 48 hours to appeal the decision.

The trouble came after Kwara had taken a first-half lead through Shamsudeen Muhammed, only to concede deep into added time. In the aftermath, Rivers United General Manager Okey Kpalukwu was attacked and reportedly revived after fainting, while players and officials of the visiting side remained inside their dressing room for more than 45 minutes for safety.

Kwara United later condemned the violence and distanced themselves from the actions of the supporters. In a statement, the club said it viewed the development with “serious concern and regret” and “unequivocally denounces every act of violence recorded.”

“We are deeply disturbed by the events that occurred after the match and unequivocally denounce every act of violence recorded,” the club said, apologising to Rivers United, match officials and other affected parties, and pledging cooperation with investigations.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Nigeria Secures Spot At 2026 FIFA World Cup

Published

on

The Falconets of Nigeria are through to the final Playoffs for this year’s U20 Women’s World Cup in Poland after they again beat their Senegalese counterparts 2-1 on the road.

Nigeria won the first leg a week ago in Abeokuta to now go through 3-1 on aggregate.

They will now battle Malawi in the Playoffs for a ticket to the World Cup.

Today, the Falconets took the lead after 19 minutes through Kindness Ifeanyi, who was the match winner in Nigeria.

They made it 2-0 courtesy of Precious Oscar in the 68th minute, before the home team netted a consolation goal in the closing minutes of the contest.

Continue Reading

Sports

HEARTBREAKING: Nigerian Footballer Dies In UK Hospital

Published

on

HEARTBREAKING: Nigerian Footballer Dies In UK Hospital

Tributes have poured in following the death of Nigerian non-league footballer Saburi Olayinka Adeniji, who died from a catastrophic brain injury just one day before his wife and four-year-old daughter could reach his bedside.

Adeniji, who played as a winger for Kings Park Rangers in Halstead, Essex, passed away in hospital on Friday after being admitted to intensive care on January 25 with a severe brain stem injury.

The club rallied around his family, who travelled from Nigeria to be with him but arrived after his death.

A fundraising appeal launched to support them has raised more than £16,000 of its £17,000 target to help cover expenses, including travel and accommodation.

Medical staff reportedly delayed switching off life support in the hope that his family would arrive in time to say goodbye, but the club confirmed the heartbreaking news in a statement released on Saturday.

Kings Park Rangers said: “It is with great sadness that we must announce our number 17 Saburi Adeniji ‘Ola’ passed away yesterday morning. He fought so hard to still be here for when his family arrived. His wife and daughter unfortunately arrived this morning, a day late.

“He will always be a King. He will always be loved. As a friend, as a dad as a husband, as a brother and as a son. R.I.P Saburi Adeniji.”

The Essex and Suffolk Border League side waived gate fees in recent weeks, redirecting the funds as donations for the family, and observed a minute’s silence before their match against Henley Athletic. The club also organised a fundraising event to support the bereaved family.

In another message, the club said: “We are overwhelmed with the support and on behalf of everyone involved with the club.”

The fundraising page explained that the money would assist with emergency visa applications, travel expenses and accommodation while the family remains in the UK.

HEARTBREAKING: Nigerian Footballer Dies In UK Hospital

 

It also highlighted Adeniji’s devotion to his family, stating: “Saburi leaves behind a four-year-old daughter, whom he adored. He worked tirelessly to provide for his family and was deeply committed to giving his daughter a good education and a better future.

“Beyond the immediate need to reunite his family, this fund will also be used to support his wife financially as she navigates life after this devastating loss and help secure his daughter’s education and wellbeing back home in Nigeria.

“This is a moment for the football world to come together players, clubs, teammates, supporters, and friends. Every donation, no matter how small, will make a real difference to a young family facing unimaginable heartbreak.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Transfer: Aribo seals loan move to Leicester City

Published

on

Leicester City have confirmed the loan signing of Joe Aribo from Southampton, DAILY POST reports. The move, according to the Foxes, is subject to league approval.

Aribo endured a difficult first half of the season at Southampton, making just seven league appearances, all as a substitute. The Nigeria international is not expected to return to the Saints, with his contract set to expire this summer.

The 29-year-old made 111 appearances for Southampton across four seasons in the Premier League and Sky Bet Championship.

Aribo will now link up with his new teammates as Leicester prepare for their upcoming Sky Bet Championship fixture away at Birmingham City on Saturday.

Continue Reading

Trending