Foreign
Lone Air India Survivor Carries Brother’s Coffin
Air India crash survivor attends funeral of brother who died in crash
The British man who was the sole survivor of last week’s Air India plane crash has helped lay his brother to rest at a funeral in western India.
Vishwashkumar Ramesh’s brother Ajay was also on the ill-fated flight but did not survive the tragedy.
A visibly upset Ramesh was one of the pall bearers who carried his brother’s coffin to the crematorium in the town of Diu, his arm and face still covered in white bandages. He’s spent most of the past five days in hospital.
The London-bound Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner crashed seconds after taking off on Thursday from the western Indian city of Ahmedabad. At least 270 people were killed, most of them passengers.
Mr Ramesh’s mother walked with the coffin in a blue sari along with other mourners, as he held it on his right shoulder.
Several people from the town – which lost 14 other people to the crash – came out for the funeral even as the rain lashed the procession.
No one is clear how Mr Ramesh managed to survive. He even tried to go back to the blazing plane to search for his brother, one of the first responders at the scene told the BBC.
In a new video that emerged earlier this week, ambulance driver Satinder Singh Sandhu is the man seen guiding Mr Ramesh to safety as he walks out of the crash site with flames and thick smoke billowing into the air behind him.
Mr Sandhu, a supervisor with the emergency ambulance services in Ahmedabad, says he had no idea who he was helping, or that Mr Ramesh had escaped from the plane. He only found out later that day on the news that the man was the sole survivor of the crash.
Vishwashkumar Ramesh, 40, was in seat 11A on the flight. His brother is reported to have been sitting a few seats away.
All other passengers and crew were killed and nearly 30 people also died on the ground after the plane hurtled down and crashed into a doctor’s hostel.
But Mr Ramesh miraculously survived, managing to get out of the wreckage through an opening in the fuselage.
The new video shows Mr Sandhu, who’s wearing a blue turban, walk up to Mr Ramesh and guide him to safety.
Mr Sandhu said he was having lunch with his colleagues when he first noticed a “massive fire with thick smoke rising into the sky”.
“At first, we thought it might be a car accident or a gas cylinder blast. Soon, we learned it was a plane crash. I immediately instructed my team to bring an ambulance, and rushed to the site.”
Speaking to BBC Gujarati, Mr Sandhu said that he was just trying to do his job. In his decades-long career, he said he had encountered many challenging situations.
But what surprised him that day was how Mr Ramesh, after being rescued, kept trying to go back to the site of the crash.
“He had no idea what he was doing. He kept going in and out of the complex. We told him to stop, and dragged him away to an ambulance so that he could receive medical care,” Mr Sandhu said.
“That’s when he said to me that his relative was trapped inside and he wanted to go save him. We did not speak a word after that.”
Mr Ramesh later told India’s DD News that he was trying to go look for Ajay.
Pavan Jaishwal Mr Sandhu, seen in yellow turban, guided the sole survivor of the crash to safety. Pavan Jaishwal
Satinder Singh Sandhu said he only realised who Mr Ramesh was when he saw the news later
At the scene, Mr Sandhu spotted a security guard who seemed to have been injured in the impact. His clothes were partially burnt and Mr Sandhu first helped him.
“I also saw a woman. She was screaming in horror. Her son who ran a tea stall had been killed in the crash.”
Moments later he saw Mr Ramesh emerge from the crash site in a white shirt.
He had injuries on his face and burns on his arms and looked visibly upset, Mr Sandhu said.
“At that point, we had no idea who the injured man was. I thought he was one of the doctors who lived in the college. Later, when we saw the news, we realised he was the lone survivor of the crash.”
Chirag, a member of Mr Sandhu’s ambulance team, told PTI news agency that Mr Ramesh was telling someone on a video call that his relatives were at the crash site.
The first responders treated him for his injuries and rushed him to the trauma centre of a hospital nearby.
In his interview with DD News, Mr Ramesh had said he could not believe that he came out of the wreckage alive.
“For a moment, I felt like I was going to die too, but when I opened my eyes and looked around, I realised I was alive.
“I still can’t believe how I survived. I walked out of the rubble.”
The cause of the crash is not yet known. Officials are trying to decode the cockpit voice and flight data recorders – collectively known as the black box – recovered from the wreckage to piece together what happened.
Bbc.com
Foreign
JUST IN: Mali’s Defence Minister Killed As Army, Rebels Clash
Mali’s Defence Minister, Sadio Camara, has been killed following a wave of coordinated attacks targeting military installations across the country.
Camara reportedly died from injuries sustained during an attack on his residence in Kati, a key military garrison town located about 15 kilometres from Bamako.
The assault, which occurred barely 24 hours before his death, involved a suicide car bomb and formed part of a broader offensive across the country.
The attacks were reportedly carried out by fighters linked to Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin, an al-Qaeda-affiliated group, alongside Tuareg rebels from the Liberation Front of Azawad.
According to Al Jazeera, the attackers were able to breach Kati, considered one of the most secure military locations in Mali.
Camara, a key figure in Mali’s military leadership, rose to prominence after playing a central role in the coups of 2020 and 2021 that brought the current junta to power.
Al Jazeera’s Nicolas Haque described his death as significant.
“He was one of the most influential figures within the ruling military leadership… His death is a major blow to the country’s armed forces,” he said.
The coordinated offensive extended beyond Kati, with gunmen attacking several locations including Bamako, Gao, Kidal and Sevare.
“As we speak, people in the garrison town of Kidal can still hear heavy gunfire and loud explosions,” Haque said, adding that the operation remained ongoing more than 24 hours after it began.
The attacks have intensified pressure on Mali’s interim leadership, with analysts suggesting that security forces were overwhelmed by the scale and coordination of the violence.
However, Interim President, Assimi Goita, was reportedly moved to safety and remains in control of the military.
International bodies, including the African Union, the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation, and the United States Bureau of African Affairs, have condemned the attacks and called for urgent measures to restore stability.
Foreign
Tinubu Backs Gulf States Amid Iran/Israel War
President Bola Tinubu has declared Nigeria’s support for countries in the Gulf region following rising tension linked to the ongoing conflict involving the United States, Israel, and Iran.
Naija News reports that he made this known in Abuja during a formal ceremony where he received letters of credence from several foreign diplomats. The event had representatives from countries such as Qatar and Saudi Arabia, alongside envoys from Lebanon, Sudan, Namibia, Rwanda, Somalia, Argentina, and Congo.
During the meeting, the president assured the visiting diplomats that Nigeria stands with nations in the Gulf, including the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman, and Jordan. He praised their calm approach in handling the situation and stressed the need for peace across the region.
Tinubu described the diplomatic gathering as an important step in strengthening Nigeria’s relationship with other countries. He encouraged the envoys to build stronger partnerships with Nigeria that would benefit both sides.
He also spoke about his government’s economic direction, saying efforts are being made to position Nigeria as an attractive destination for investors. He pointed out opportunities in areas like infrastructure, economic growth, and diaspora involvement, inviting the diplomats to explore these sectors.
On regional matters, the president restated Nigeria’s role in the Economic Community of West African States, especially in maintaining democratic order, improving trade among member states, and addressing instability in the Sahel region.
Tinubu further noted that global issues such as climate change, energy challenges, terrorism, and unfair financial systems require countries to work together.
He said Nigeria is ready to cooperate with other nations both directly and through international platforms to promote a safer and fairer global system.
Foreign
BREAKING: Explosions Rock Tehran, Israel Denies Any Role in Mysterious Blasts
According to a report by Telegraph, on Thursday April 23, 2026, Israel’s defence minister has declared the country stands prepared to resume military operations against Iran, but only upon receiving authorisation from the Trump administration, as tensions between the two nations continue to simmer beneath a fragile ceasefire.
The statement came amid fresh alarm in the Iranian capital on [date], after Iranian state media reported that explosions were heard above Tehran and air defence systems were activated across the city. The developments immediately triggered speculation of a new Israeli strike, drawing swift attention from regional observers and international monitors tracking the volatile situation.
However, a source within the Israeli military moved quickly to dismiss those claims. Speaking to Israeli outlet Ynet, the source firmly stated that Israel had not carried out any attacks on Iran, offering a direct contradiction to the wave of concern that had swept through diplomatic circles following the reports from Tehran.
A ceasefire between the two countries has been in effect since April 8, and Israeli officials have so far indicated no public breach of that agreement. Despite this, the defence minister’s earlier remarks have raised serious questions about how durable that truce remains, particularly given its apparent dependency on political decisions emanating from Washington.
The reference to a required “green light” from the Trump administration underscores the degree to which Israeli military calculations are now intertwined with American foreign policy direction. Analysts note that this framing places significant weight on Washington’s posture toward Tehran, effectively making U.S. political will a trigger mechanism for potential renewed hostilities in the region.
Iran has not officially responded to the Israeli defence minister’s statement at the time of reporting. The sounds heard over Tehran, while alarming to residents and regional watchers, remain unexplained by Iranian authorities beyond initial media reports of activated air defences.
The situation reflects the precarious nature of the current ceasefire, with both nations maintaining high military readiness even as formal hostilities remain paused. Observers warn that the combination of unexplained aerial activity and bellicose ministerial language represents a dangerous mix that could rapidly destabilise the existing arrangement.
-
Politics1 day agoBREAKING: Full List Of ADC Reps Defecting With Peter Obi And Kwankwaso
-
Entertainment2 days ago
Tension As Teddy A Unveils Mystery Woman Amid Rumours of Marriage Crash With BamBam
-
Politics1 day agoREVEALED: Tension Rises As Suspects Admit Knowledge Of Plot Against Tinubu
-
Politics2 days agoADC Crises Deepens As Court Nullifies State And LG Congresses
-
News8 hours agoBreaking: Drama As Senate Changes Rules To Become Senate President
