News
Ex- CDS, Musa Sets To Take Over As Badaru Quits Defense Minister
A former Chief of Defence Staff is set to return to public service in a civilian capacity, as President Bola Tinubu prepares to reshuffle the defence portfolio following the exit of Mohammed Badaru.
Naija News had earlier reported that General Christopher Musa met the President at the Aso Rock Presidential Villa on Monday evening, arriving at the State House shortly after 7:00 pm for a closed-door session.
The visit was his first public engagement with the Presidency since his retirement from military service on October 24, 2025.
Top government sources told SaharaReporters that during the meeting, President Tinubu informed the retired defence chief that he would succeed Badaru as Nigeria’s next Defence Minister.
A presidency insider disclosed that Tinubu delivered the message directly, telling Musa, “You will succeed Badaru as Defence Minister.”
Nigeria’s Minister of Defence, Badaru, tendered his resignation late Monday night, citing health concerns as the core reason for stepping away from office.
In a letter dated December 1, 2025, addressed to President Tinubu, the minister said his decision to exit public service was based strictly on medical advice, according to a statement released by the Special Adviser to President Tinubu on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, on Monday.
The statement read, “President Tinubu has accepted the resignation and thanked Abubakar for his services to the nation.”
Badaru also received praise from the President, who expressed appreciation for his commitment during his tenure.
The Presidency confirmed that Tinubu would communicate the name of Badaru’s successor to the Senate imminently.
“President Tinubu will likely inform the Senate of Badaru’s successor later this week,” the statement added.
Before his appointment to Tinubu’s cabinet, Badaru served as a two-term governor of Jigawa State.
He governed Jigawa State from 2015 to 2023, before being appointed a minister on August 21, 2023, after the 2023 general elections.
News
Breaking: Drama As Senate Changes Rules To Become Senate President
The Senate has amended its internal rules that restricted the eligibility of those interested in the Senate presidency to a few.
This is as the new rules indicated that only members of the 10th National Assembly, who returned to the Chamber after the 2027 election, can become principal officers in the 11th assembly.
The decision was reached after a marathon closed-door session that was publicly criticised by Senator Adams Oshiomhole from Edo state.
The Senate has made a major shift to its internal rules as it amended its standing orders to restrict the eligibility of candidates for the office of the Senate President to only members of the 10th National Assembly.
The move came after a marathon closed-door session where the lawmakers agreed on new criteria that prioritise parliamentary hierarchy and experience. Under the revised rules, only senators who have been in the national assembly would be able to contest for principal offices.
According to Channels TV, the new law stated that at least one of the two terms must be the immediate term before the nomination, a move that effectively narrowed the field of contenders.
The amended Order 4 of the Senate reads:
“Nomination of Senators to serve as Presiding Officers shall be in accordance with the ranking of Senators and shall be strictly adhered to.
“This means that only senators currently serving under the Senate President Godswill Akpabio’s leadership of the 10th Assembly who secured their re-election in the 2027 general elections would be able to contest for the Senate presidency and other principal offices.
According to the Senate, the development was intended to strengthen adherence to the tradition of ranking within the Upper legislative chamber
Daily voice.ng earlier reported that Senate President Godswil Akpabio has blamed the insecurity in the country on the upcoming elections, and predicted improvement after the polls.
However, some critics of the claim have challenged Akpabio’s views and highlighted the need for peace ahead of elections.
At the same time, public reactions have revealed mixed feelings on security and Akpabio’s optimistic outlook ahead of the 2027 general elections.
News
Tension As ICPC Files Fresh Charges Against El- Rufai
The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has filed fresh criminal charges against former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, and seven others over alleged fraud and money laundering linked to a ₦10.8 billion CCTV security project in the state.
According to court documents filed at the Federal High Court in Kaduna on April 17, the anti-graft agency brought 11 counts against the former governor and the other defendants under the Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022.
A former Kaduna State Commissioner for Information and Chairman of Liberty Television, Alhaji Tijjani Ramalan, disclosed the development in a post on his Facebook page.
Ramalan said El-Rufai and the seven other accused persons would soon face the new charges.
The ICPC alleged that El-Rufai approved the award of an ₦8.68bn CCTV contract in December 2015 to a company it claimed lacked the required competence.
The commission also alleged that several large sums were received and transferred between 2017 and 2022 by individuals and companies linked to the project.
The firms mentioned include Singularity Network Security Limited and other companies allegedly connected to the CCTV security project.
Others named in the case include a former Kaduna State government official, Jimi Lawal; senior executives of IHS Towers; and five companies.
One of El-Rufai’s sons, Bashir El-Rufai, was also mentioned in the allegations but was not listed as a defendant.
The fresh charge is the third set of charges filed by the ICPC against the former governor since March.
El-Rufai is already facing separate corruption-related cases involving other state projects, including a light rail contract and severance payments.
He had denied wrongdoing in earlier court appearances.
Other agencies, including the Department of State Services (DSS) and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), are also investigating or prosecuting him over separate allegations.
News
Jonathan Writes UK Court, Defends Diezani’s Use Of Private Jets
A statement by former President Goodluck Jonathan has been read before the Southwark Crown Court in the United Kingdom in the ongoing trial of Diezani Alison-Madueke.
The statement was presented during proceedings on Tuesday, according to BBC reports.
In the statement, Jonathan said it was not unusual for third parties to make payments on behalf of ministers during official overseas duties.
“Any properly incurred incidental or in-kind assistance from third parties would be recorded and reimbursed where applicable,” the former president was quoted as saying.
He also confirmed that he approved Alison-Madueke’s use of private jets for certain foreign trips.
Alison-Madueke, who served as minister of petroleum resources from 2010 to 2015, is standing trial alongside Olatimbo Ayinde and Doye Agama.
They are facing a five-count charge bordering on accepting bribes but have all pleaded not guilty.
Earlier in the trial, prosecutors accused the former minister of accepting luxury goods and access to high-end properties from individuals seeking favourable treatment in oil contracts.
They alleged that the benefits were provided in exchange for influence within the petroleum sector.
Counsel to Alison-Madueke, Jonathan Laidlaw, told the court that his client had no real influence over the award of oil contracts during her time in office.
Meanwhile, Nigerian businessman Igho Sanomi and Ghanaian businessman Kevin Okyere have denied allegations of bribery.
Their statements, read in court, indicated that payments made on behalf of the former minister were later reimbursed.
Okyere stated that he paid about £3,900 for items purchased by Alison-Madueke in 2014, adding that the money was later refunded in cash.
Sanomi also said items he purchased on behalf of the former minister were reimbursed, insisting that his companies secured contracts through fair competition.
The trial is ongoing, with further proceedings expected as the court continues to examine evidence and witness statements.
