News
Sad End: Nigerian Popular Pastor Is Dead, Details Emerge
A young man of God, Rev Nankur Peter Kundul, has been confirmed dead as a result of a snakebite he suffered while serving in a mission field in Boltim village, Gamakai District of Langtang South Local Government Area of Plateau State.
Rev Kundul, who was a pastor with the Church of Christ in Nations, COCIN, was deployed to the community as a missionary.
A fellow pastor, Rinkyer Asaph, who shared the sad incident on the Christian Daily International social media platform on Monday, said the mission field where the late Kundul served had been invaded by venomous snakes, which had killed other people in the area.
“My heart is deeply saddened by the demise of my friend, Pastor Nankur Peter Kundul of COCIN Boltim, Gamakai, in Langtang South LGA, who lost his life to a snakebite at the Sabon Gida Clinic.
“He died as a result of a snakebite, which has also killed at least two other Christians in the past one week.
“Gamakai is the agricultural nerve centre of Langtang South. Its people depend heavily on farming for their livelihood and food production. The agricultural produce from Gamakai is a source of food security for many families in Langtang South, Plateau and Nigeria.
“But the rising incidence of fatal snakebites in the community is, therefore, not only a public health concern but a serious threat to agricultural activities, as farmers may become increasingly afraid to venture into their farmlands.
“The recent deaths from snakebites in Gamakai have reached an alarming level and demand urgent intervention. Snakebite should not become a death sentence simply because a person lives or farms in Gamakai,” Asaph said.
News
FULL LIST: New Salaries of Nigerian Soldiers From General to the Lowest Rank
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has approved a new salary structure for Nigeria’s Armed Forces, lifting monthly pay for a General to N3.25 million and raising a Private’s earnings to N187,200.
The Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, confirmed the development in a statement. He said the new package takes effect from September 1, 2026, and covers roughly 250,000 military personnel across all ranks.
Daily Trust reported that pay increases under the scheme range from 30% to 80%, depending on rank. Senior officers above the rank of Colonel, including Brigadier-Generals, Major-Generals, Lieutenant-Generals, and Generals, will receive the lower end of the scale at 30%. Lower-ranked personnel stand to gain significantly more, with some categories attracting increases of up to 80%.
The wider financial effect of the new structure is substantial. Nigeria’s annual salary expenditure for the Armed Forces will climb from N660 billion to N924 billion once the pay adjustments take full effect, representing an increase of N264 billion per year.
The approval signals a significant shift in the federal government’s approach to military welfare, bringing pay levels more in line with the economic pressures facing service personnel amid rising living costs across the country.
What each rank will earn as new salaries, according to Daily Trust

News
BREAKING: INEC Declares Adeleke Winner of Osun Gov Election
Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, was on Sunday declared elected, having won 19 out of the 30 local government areas in the governorship election held across the state on Saturday.
The State Returning Officer, the Vice-Chancellor of the Federal University, Oye Ekiti, Prof Joshua Ogunwole, declared the result of the poll at about 7:24 am on Sunday.
Adeleke polled a total of 511067 votes to emerge victorious in the contest.
Ogunwole subsequently returned the governor to office for another term.
The incumbent Osun governor, who contested the poll on the platform of the Accord, defeated his closest challenger, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress, who won in 11 LG areas of the state.
While Adeleke won in Ede North, Ede South, Ejigbo, Iwo, Egbedore, Ife North, Ife East, Ife Central, Oriade, Ifelodun, Orolu, Ayedaade, Ayedire, Odo Otin, Boluwaduro, Ilesa West, Ifedayo, Osogbo and Ayedire local government areas.
Oyebamiji, however, won in Irewole, Isokan, Olorunda, Atakumosa East, Atakumosa West, Ilesa East, Boripe, Irepodun and Obokun local government areas.
Declaring the results, Ogunwole said, “Accredited voters, 1010684, total votes received by political parties, A, 511067, AA, 2308, AAC, 1458, ADC, 17180, ADP, 2946, APC, 444815, APGA, 1475, APM, 234, APP, 114, BP, 111, NNPP, 118, PRP, 83, SDP, 155, YPP, 534, ZLP, 2482, total valid votes, 985079, rejected votes, 207, total vote cast, 1,005,800.”
After agents of the political parties have signed the results of the election, the Returning Officer declared Adeleke of the Accord as the winner of the poll.
“That Ademola Nurudeen-Jackson Adeleke having satisfied the requirements of the law is hereby declare the winner of the August 15 Governorship election and returned elected,” Ogunwole said.
The candidate of the African Democratic Congress in the poll, Najeem Salaam, came third in the poll.
News
Election Results: Adeleke Raises Alarm, Calls on Tinubu to Intervene as Tension Rises
Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke has raised the alarm over an alleged plan to withdraw security personnel from polling units and collation centres across the state as counting continues following Saturday’s governorship election.
Adeleke made the allegation in a post on X on Saturday night, saying he had been informed that unidentified persons were directing the withdrawal of security agents from election locations
The governor warned that such a move could expose voters, Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) officials and other election personnel to danger.
“I have just been reliably informed that some unscrupulous persons have given a directive to withdraw security agents from polling units and collation centers across Osun State,” Adeleke said.
He alleged that the development could leave voters and election officials vulnerable to attacks by people he described as “rampaging APC thugs”.
Adeleke Calls for Urgent Intervention
The governor appealed directly to the Inspector General of Police and the Director-General of the Department of State Services (DSS) to prevent any action that could undermine the electoral process.
“The IGP, DG DSS should not allow desperate politicians truncate Osun election,” he said. Adeleke also called on President Bola Tinubu to intervene, urging the federal authorities to ensure adequate security around polling units and collation centres.
“Mr. President should intervene now!” he added. His warning came as votes were being sorted and counted at polling units across Osun State following the governorship election.
The election featured 14 candidates, with Adeleke of the Accord Party, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress and Najeem Salaam of the African Democratic Congress among the leading contenders.
As results continued to emerge, security remained a major concern in parts of the state, following reports of isolated violence and other incidents during the voting process.
The allegations made by Adeleke had not been independently verified at the time of filing this report, and there was no immediate response from the police, DSS or the APC on the governor’s claim.
-
Business1 day agoDollar to Naira Exchange Rate Today, August 17, 2026
-
Business2 days agoDangote, BUA Release Fresh Cement Prices Nationwide
-
Politics2 days agoBREAKING: APC Makes Fresh Move Over Adeleke’s Victory
-
Business10 hours agoNo More N14,000/Bag: Dangote Cement Breaks Silence on New Prices Nationwide
-
Politics2 days agoBREAKING: Nigerian Governor Dumps Deputy, Picks New Running Mate for 2027
-
Business1 day agoDr. Deji Adeleke: How Davido’s Billionaire Father Built His Business Empire; Major Companies Linked to Him
-
Entertainment1 day agoI’m Going To Just Die One Day – Omah Lay Opens Up On Smoking Habits
-
Sports23 hours agoFulham Coach Hails Bassey’s Attitude, Work Ethic
