Connect with us

News

FG Declares Public Holiday Nationwide (DETAILS)

Published

on

The Federal Government has declared Tuesday, August 25, 2026, a public holiday to mark this year’s Eid ul Mawlid, commemorating the birth of the Holy Prophet Muhammad.

The Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, announced the holiday on behalf of the Federal Government in a statement issued on Friday by the Permanent Secretary of the ministry, Dr Magdalene Ajani.

Tunji-Ojo congratulated Muslims in Nigeria and across the diaspora on the occasion, urging Nigerians to reflect on the values of compassion, humility and service associated with the life of the Prophet Muhammad.

“Every Eid ul Mawlid gives us reason to pause and draw lessons from a life defined by compassion, humility and service to others.

“These are qualities our nation needs now more than ever, and I encourage every Nigerian, not just our Muslim brothers and sisters, to reflect on them,”he said.

The minister also called on Nigerians to use the occasion to pray for peace and national cohesion, stressing that maintaining unity remained a collective responsibility.

He urged citizens to celebrate the occasion with restraint and mutual respect, while wishing the Muslim community a joyous and peaceful Eid.

Tunji-Ojo further reaffirmed the commitment of the present administration to protecting lives and property and ensuring the sustenance of peace across the country.

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

BREAKING: APC Orders Fresh Primary Elections in 4 States

Published

on

APC Schedules July 24 NEC For Ganduje Replacement

The All Progressives Congress (APC) has published its timetable and schedule of activities for primary elections covering both the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC)-restored state constituencies and a series of legislative by-elections scheduled for 2026.

The announcement, issued by the APC national secretariat, followed INEC’s decision to restore four State House of Assembly constituencies that had previously been suppressed in Delta and Kogi states.

The APC directed notices at the Delta and Kogi state chapters of the party regarding the restored constituencies. In Delta State, the affected areas are Abraka, Isoko North II, and Ughelli South II state constituencies. In Kogi State, the restored constituency is Yagba West II.

The party said it would conduct primary elections in all four restored constituencies as part of its preparations ahead of the elections that INEC’s restoration decision now makes possible.

Beyond the restored constituencies, the APC also issued notices to its chapters in Gombe, Bauchi, Delta, and Kano states for primary elections tied to upcoming legislative by-elections.

The affected constituencies are:

Gombe/Kwami/Funakaye Federal Constituency in Gombe State

Disina State Constituency and Sakwa State Constituency in Bauchi State

Udu State Constituency in Delta State

Dawakin Kudu State Constituency in Kano State

The APC said the timetable covers the conduct of primary elections for all the listed constituencies, meaning eight separate constituencies across five states are now subject to the party’s internal electoral process ahead of the 2026 contests.

The party’s decision to release a combined schedule signals its intention to run coordinated primary exercises across all affected states within the same planning window.

 

Continue Reading

News

Atiku Reveals How He Recovered Stolen Money With Obasanjo

Published

on

The presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Atiku Abubakar, on Wednesday recounted how he and his former principal, Olusegun Obasanjo, recovered funds allegedly stolen from the country during their administration.

Daily Voice reports that Atiku disclosed while addressing journalists on Wednesday, recalling the steps taken by the administration after it assumed office in 1999.

According to the former Vice President, the administration faced the task of recovering public funds allegedly taken by certain individuals.

Atiku said the administration had records of the individuals suspected of taking public funds and decided to approach them directly to recover the money.

He explained that those involved were invited and asked to return the funds, with an arrangement allowing them to retain five per cent.

Atiku said, “We had records of what everyone had stolen. We called them, sat down with them, and told them to return what they had taken, while allowing them to keep five per cent.”

Atiku stated, “I chaired the committee, with Aliyu Gusau as a member. That was how we recovered money for Nigeria.”

Atiku also recalled Obasanjo’s initial reaction, saying the former president was angry when he assumed office in 1999.

He said he had to intervene and persuade Obasanjo that the government needed to approach the issue differently.

According to Atiku, the administration subsequently established the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) as part of its broader effort to institutionalise the fight against corruption.

Atiku added, “Later, we established the EFCC to fight corruption.

Continue Reading

News

Tension in Osun as Adeleke Survives Assassination Attempt

Published

on

Tension gripped Osogbo, the Osun State capital, on Wednesday after suspected gunmen attacked the convoy of Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after he left the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, in the city.

The incident occurred barely hours after Adeleke received his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) following his victory in the August 15 governorship election.

The governor had proceeded to the Ataoja’s palace after collecting the certificate, arriving at about 3:15 pm in a convoy of about 20 vehicles.

He was received by the monarch, to whom he reportedly presented his Certificate of Return before the meeting ended with prayers.

Trouble reportedly started shortly after Adeleke and his close aides had left the palace hall. Witnesses said gunshots suddenly rang out around the palace, prompting security personnel attached to the governor to respond.

An eyewitness said the suspected attackers arrived in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita-Olokan axis and opened fire around the palace.

The ensuing exchange of gunfire reportedly lasted several minutes before the assailants fled the area.

The attack caused panic among residents, traders and other people around the palace, with several business owners said to have hurriedly closed their shops and fled to safety.

A trader in the area claimed the attackers also damaged part of the palace gate during the incident.

The suspected gunmen reportedly moved towards the Osogbo Central Mosque area before making their escape through the Ita-Olokan axis of the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.

Confirming the incident, the Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the attackers.

“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” Alimi said.

As of the time of filing this report, sporadic gunshots were still reportedly being heard around parts of the area, while security personnel maintained a presence around the palace and adjoining streets.

The incident has heightened concerns over security in the state, coming only days after the governorship election and amid heightened political activities ahead of the forthcoming local government elections.

Continue Reading

Trending