Sports
Serie A Star Opens Up On Failed Transfer To Man United
Ederson has explained why his proposed move to Manchester United fell through this summer.
The Brazilian looked set to become Michael Carrick’s frst summer signing as the Red Devils’ permanent boss, but a long transfer saga ultimately ended in disappointment for the Brazilian, who did not get his switch to the Premier League.
The midfielder, 27, was reported to have failed a medical at Old Trafford, with the United doctors thought to have had doubts over his fitness levels.
As a result, it caused the English side to pull the plug on the £35million deal that they had struck with Atalanta back in June.
The transfer looked as though it would happen after the World Cup, with Ederson included in Carlo Ancelotti’s squad for the tournament in Canada, Mexico and the United States.
He played a bit-part role in the Selecao’s run to the last 16, where they were defeated 2-1 by Erling Haaland and Norway.
Now, Ederson has broken his silence ahead of the new Serie A season, having signed a new deal at Atalanta.
His previous contract had just a year left to run, hence United managing to snag a cut price.
“I honestly don’t know what happened. I always had interest from other clubs, and I could’ve gone to another English side,” he told reporters (via The Standard).
“The tests went well, I don’t know what changed. I’ve been with Atalanta for four years and always played.
“I could’ve just waited to see what happened, but the great rapport with the club convinced me to stay and sign a new contract.
“I am very happy to remain with Atalanta, I really thank the club and [club CEO] Luca Percassi.
United have since turned their attentions to other midfield targets, bringing in the likes of Andrey Santos from Chelsea for £48m and Youri Tielemans for £35m.
Standard Sport reported early on Wednesday that the Red Devils were set to strike a deal worth £65m to bring long-term target Carlos Baleba to Old Trafford from Brighton and Hove Albion, with personal terms already agreed with the Cameroon international.
Sports
‘This Is Probably My Last Year Of Football,’ Cristiano Ronaldo Insists
Portuguese football icon Cristiano Ronaldo is likely to retire from professional football at the end of the 2026-2027 season, according to his latest comments.
Cristiano Ronaldo has been playing professional football since 2002 during his days at Portuguese club Sporting Lisbon.
He made his first big move in 2003 when he joined Manchester United for a transfer fee worth £19 million.
The 41-year-old spent about 6 years at Old Trafford before he made a then-world transfer record move to Real Madrid worth €94 million.
Since then, he has played for Juventus before he returned to Manchester United in 2021 and stayed without a club for a couple of weeks before joining Al Nassr on January 1, 2023. Ronaldo’s contract with the Saudi Pro League side will expire on June 30, 2027, and there are no reports that both parties are discussing an extension.
In an interview with Vogue, which was published on Sunday, August 17, Ronaldo revealed that this year could be his last in the world of football. He stressed that he wants to leave a “spectacular legacy.”
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” Ronaldo said.
“I have my future all mapped out. I have so many things to keep me busy that to tell you just one thing is hard.
“Because football could leave a big hole, you have to fill your time in various ways, not just one. And also have more fun, travel more, watch and play padel, which I really like, and continue to enjoy what I’ve earned, what we’ve earned.
“Because after all it’s been 25 years with a lot of sacrifice.”
Cristiano Ronaldo has won virtually everything in football, including the Premier League, La Liga, the Italian Serie A, and the Saudi Pro League titles. He is among the few players who have won five UEFA Champions League titles.
The only major title that has eluded the five-time Ballon d’Or winner is the FIFA World Cup. The farthest he has gone in the tournament was a fourth-place finish in 2006.
Sports
Fulham Coach Hails Bassey’s Attitude, Work Ethic
Fulham manager Álvaro Arbeloa has praised Super Eagles defender Calvin Bassey for his exceptional work ethic, professional attitude, and strong pre-season performances.
The Spanish tactician made this known after the team’s 1-0 victory over Stuttgart at Craven Cottage in a preseason friendly on Saturday afternoon.
Bassey’s Exceptional Work Ethic
Reacting after the game, Arbeloa highlighted the defender’s commitment in training and matches, pointing out that the Nigerian international embodies the exact qualities needed for the team.
“Calvin is a proper and top player for my style of game because we need to defend so high and leave a lot of space behind. He has everything,” Arbeloa told Fulham media.
Leadership Potential
“He is a funny guy, but when we have to work, he is always the first one. I love Calvin, and he can be our leader. “
Read Also:Plumptre Returns To Al-Ittihad Training After Injury Layoff
Bassey impressed during pre-season matches, earning praise for his physical strength and ability to play out from the back.
The defender continues to be an important presence for both club and country, drawing positive attention from the new coaching setup at Fulham.
Sports
Chukwueze Relishes New Milan Role Under Amorim
Samuel Chukwueze is adapting well to his new role at AC Milan under head coach Ruben Amorim, Completesports.com reports.
The Nigeria international delivered an impressive performance in Milan’s 4-2 pre-season friendly victory over Manchester United in Wroclaw last weekend, contributing a goal and two assists.
Chukwueze, 27, has been deployed as a wing-back by Amorim as he adjusts to the Portuguese coach’s tactical system.
The versatile winger is determined to seize the opportunity and establish himself as a regular starter for the Rossoneri. His strong pre-season display has provided an early indication that he could play a key role for Milan under Amorim.
-
Foreign21 hours agoTRAGEDY: Aircraft Crashes, All Passengers Dead
-
News2 days agoSad End: Nigerian Popular Pastor Is Dead, Details Emerge
-
Business2 days agoBreaking: CBN Crashes Dollar, Announces New Rates
-
Entertainment1 day agoBREAKING: Ogogo’s Daughter Speaks on Viral Death Claims
-
News1 day agoBreaking: Nigerian Gov Declares Thursday Public Holiday
-
News14 hours agoBREAKING: Tinubu Announces Fresh Top Appointment
-
News18 hours agoPAYMENT ALERT: FG Commences Second Wage Award for Civil Servants
-
News2 hours agoTension in Osun as Adeleke Survives Assassination Attempt
