Connect with us

News

Direct Your Suspension To Your Ward, Ogun Govt Replies Daniel, Says It Can’t Endorse Substandard Road Projects 

Published

on

Ogun State Government, on Monday, dismissed the allegation that it stopped the constituency projects being executed by Gbenga Daniel, the senator representing Ogun East in the National Assembly, out of spite.

It declared that Daniel’s projects in some areas were stopped because they were substandard and did not meet Federal Government specifications, adding that the government has a constitutional right to ensure that projects were done appropriately and in consonance with standards.

The government, which made this declaration in a statement signed by the Special Adviser to the Governor on Media and Strategy, Hon Kayode Akinmade, said the contractors doing works that do not conform to the Federal Ministry of Works’ specifications were instructed to provide approved specifications and drawings for the road projects that had been awarded to them.

This, the government said, would enable the Ogun Ministry of Works to do proper monitoring of the projects, adding: ” Those contractors who complied have since been given the go-ahead to continue with the road projects.

“At the same time, a designated engineer from the Ogun State Ministry of Works is assigned to conduct routine supervision to enforce compliance with the specifications.”

On Daniel’s suspension, Akinmade said that it is a party affair, adding that the Prince Dr. Dapo Abiodun – MFR -led administration could not re-admit the Ogun East senator into the Ogun APC fold when it did not suspend him in the first place.

He advised Daniel to exert his energy and media efforts on proving his innocence to the party, instead of blaming everybody but himself

Akinmade said: “It was not the Ogun State Government that suspended Senator Gbenga Daniel; it was the party, APC in his ward, and the suspension was then ratified by the State Working Committee.

“Before then, the party gave him ample opportunity to defend himself, but he shunned the summons.

“That he is launching media attacks on the State Government rather than facing the party that gave him a ticket to contest election, and against which he committed punishable acts, is illogical.
“It shows that he has no regard for the party or its leadership, and no sense of accountability or responsibility. He is just chasing shadows, blaming everyone but himself because of his huge ego.”

On alleged persecution of the senator by Governor Abiodun, Akinmade said that the senator’s claims are laughable.

He said that Daniel had consistently talked and acted as if he was still in charge of affairs as Governor of Ogun State, adding that the senator wanted everyone to automatically kowtow to him no matter what he did.

He said: “Daniel claims that the Government stopped his constituency project, a project meant to be executed with federal funds, simply because he was asked to follow due process. Is he the only federal lawmaker in Ogun State? Is he the only one executing constituency projects?

“Why is he the only former governor constantly at war against law and logic in Ogun State, and always staging a pity party using a pliant media whenever he is tasked with taking responsibility for his actions?

” In Ogun State today, there is peace and stability, unlike his crisis-ridden tenure when he was constantly at war with everyone in the State, including members of the state House of Assembly and the state’s representatives in the National Assembly. Daniel just can’t deal with not being in a position to manipulate things to his advantage.

“He cannot be bigger than the party that gave him a ticket for the Senate. He should sort out his issues with the party if he still has any shred of conscience or integrity.”

He added that the Ogun State Government had better things to do than to be constantly responding to Daniel’s tantrums.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Yorubaland No Longer Safe, Terror Cells Expanding — Gani Adams

Published

on

When the terrorists started operating in the northern part of the country, attacking communities and schools and abducting not only the residents but also  pupils and students, many people never believed they would find their way to the South West part of the country. But when they took over Kwara, about a year ago, some raised the alarm that the South West was the next target.

This came to pass last week Friday. They attacked Community High School Ahoro-Esinele and Yawota Baptist Nursery and Primary School in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo state, abducting 39 pupils and students including a two-year-old toddler and seven teachers. One teacher was killed in the process while another one was beheaded in captivity. All the victims are still being held by the terrorists one week after. Following the terrorists’ attack, there have been palpable fears in the south west region as many communities have been deserted. The residents have fled their homes and are taking refuge elsewhere.

But the frightening reality which is giving security experts sleepless nights is that these terrorists have already blended into everyday life in the south west. These individuals are described as sleeper cells. According to security experts, these terrorist cells do not arrive carrying flags or announcing their intentions. Instead, they move quietly into communities, rent apartments, establish businesses and build relationships.

Security experts warn that Nigeria’s greatest security threat may no longer be only terrorists occupying forests and ungoverned spaces, but hidden networks operating unnoticed within towns and cities, patiently waiting for the right moment to strike. They said the most dangerous enemy is often the one no one suspects, not always the insurgent wielding an AK-47 in a conflict zone, but sometimes the familiar face that greets neighbours daily, attends community gatherings, and appears fully integrated into society.

They are individuals or networks embedded within civilian populations, operating quietly for months or years while gathering information, studying security patterns, recruiting sympathisers, building local contacts, and waiting for instructions before attacks eventually occur. They are terrorist cells. They are no longer only in the north, they have found places down south.

Their weapon is not merely explosives or guns; it is patience. Unlike conventional terrorists, sleeper cells rarely strike immediately. They study communities, observe security routines, and identify vulnerable targets. Some facilitate the movement of money or logistics. Others provide safe houses, recruit sympathisers, or monitor critical infrastructure. By the time violence erupts, security analysts say the groundwork may already have been completed.

This is why the stakeholders in the south west including the elders, leaders and activists are lamenting that the region is no longer safe. They are asking the state governments in the region to rise up to the challenge and make Yorubaland safe for the people.

Yorubaland no longer safe — Oladotun

In his reaction, the President, Yoruba Council Worldwide, Mr Hassan Oladotun said,”the recent invasion of some schools in Oyo by terrorists has shown that Yorubaland is no longer safe. It is better for governors across the region to jettison politics and take collective action towards safeguarding the region from total invasion by bandits and terrorists. It is obvious that the Amotekun outfit is either losing focus or it has been abandoned for bandits to have the audacity to move their activities into Yorubaland, especially Ogbomoso and parts of Oyo State. It is a signal that the region is no longer safe.

“The menace started from Ekiti State areas which share boundaries with Kwara State and we thought the establishment of the outfit would put a stop to the movement of the bandits towards the southwest.

Continue Reading

News

Ekiti Local Government Vice-Chairman Kidnapped By Gunmen

Published

on

Armed Robbers Kill Phone Shop Operator In Abuja
Gunmen Abduct and Later Release Ekiti Council Vice-Chairman After Joint Rescue Operation

The Abduction

Gunmen intercepted Grace Ogunleye, the Vice-Chairman of Ilejemeje Local Government Area, along the Ipere–Iludun road on Wednesday, May 20, 2026. The incident occurred while she was driving toward Ido Ekiti following an official visit to the local government secretariat. Her abandoned vehicle was later found by the roadside, and her mobile phone was switched off immediately following the attack. Falade Sunday, the LGA’s director of information, quickly alerted security forces to launch a search.

The Rescue

Following a swift, coordinated operation, the Ekiti State Police Command confirmed that Ogunleye was rescued unharmed. Police spokesperson Sunday Abutu stated that a joint team of police officers, military personnel, and local security operatives successfully pressured the kidnappers into releasing her. Falade Adegoroye Michael, the Ekiti State Commissioner of Police, has ordered a full-scale investigation to track down and arrest the fleeing suspects.
Continue Reading

News

Meet 39-Year-Old Prof. Segun Aina Appointed As New JAMB Registrar

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has appointed 39-year-old Professor Segun Aina as the new Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, succeeding Professor Ishaq Oloyede, whose tenure expires on July 31, 2026.

The appointment was announced in a statement issued on Thursday by the President’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga.

Oloyede’s decade at JAMB was, by most accounts, transformational. Within three years of assuming office in 2016, he overhauled the board’s operations and finances. Remittances to the Federal Government rose sharply from less than ₦50 million between 1978 and 2016, to ₦7.8 billion in 2017 alone.

From 2016 to 2026, JAMB remitted ₦20.7 billion in operating surplus and funded physical and human development projects from internally generated revenue.

Here are key facts about Prof. Aina:

1. Aina is a professor of Computer Engineering at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, with expertise in digital infrastructure, national examination systems and institutional reforms.

B.Eng. (Hons.) Computer Systems Engineering – 2008

M.Sc. Internet Computing and Network Security – 2009

Ph.D. Electrical Engineering (Signal Processing) – 2015

Registered Engineer, Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN) – 2017

. He is a distinguished academic and systems expert with extensive experience in national examination systems, digital infrastructure, and public-sector institutional reform.

3. He holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Systems Engineering from the University of Kent, an MSc in Internet Computing and Network Security.

4. He also holds a PhD in Digital Signal Processing, both from Loughborough University, United Kingdom.

5. He has also completed the Senior Management Programme at Lagos Business School.

Aina has over 15 years of professional experience advising federal and state governments on digital transition, institutional reforms and system design.

7. He is one of Nigeria’s youngest professors in Computer Engineering and will become the youngest registrar in JAMB’s history.

8. Aina had previously worked as a consultant to examination bodies, including the National Examinations Council and the National Business and Technical Examinations Board on ICT systems and examination integrity.

 

Continue Reading

Trending