Leghemo said he would join resources with other party members to make the NDC politically formidable ahead of the 2027 elections.
News
BREAKING: Government Declares 5-Day Public Holiday
The Kano State government has announced five days public holiday for all public and private primary and secondary schools across the state ahead of the Eid-el-Kabir celebration.
The announcement was contained in a statement issued on Wednesday by the ministry’s Director of Public Enlightenment, Misbahu Yakasai.
According to the statement, day schools will begin the Sallah break from Friday, May 22, 2026, and resume academic activities on Monday, June 1, 2026.
It added that boarding schools across the state are to proceed on holiday from Saturday, May 23, 2026, and resume on Sunday, May 31, 2026.
The ministry advised parents and guardians of students in boarding schools to ensure compliance with the directive.
“Parents and guardians of students in boarding schools are advised to pick up their children on the approved closing date, Saturday, May 23, 2026, and ensure their timely return on the resumption date,” the statement said.
The Commissioner for Education, Ali Makoda, extended his greetings to students, teachers, parents, and members of the education community ahead of the festivities.
Makoda wished them a peaceful and joyous Eid-el-Kabir celebration.
News
Police Arrest Husband, Wife For Child Stealing In Ogun
The Ogun State Police Command has arrested a husband and wife suspected to be involved in child stealing and rescued three children in the Mowe area of the state.
This was contained in a statement issued on Wednesday by the command’s spokesperson, DSP Oluseyi Babaseyi.
According to the statement, the suspects are Oluwarankami Kehinde Ugochukwu (female) and her husband, Ugochukwu Mathew (male).
“The arrest followed a complaint lodged at Mowe Division on 17/05/2026 at about 10:00 a.m. by a resident of Omo Onile, Mowe, who reported that while she was receiving medical attention at a clinic in Mowe on 16/05/2026, one of the suspects, Oluwarankami Kehinde Ugochukwu (female), visited under the guise of checking on her condition, deceitfully collected her four-month-old baby on the pretext of assisting with care while the mother rested, and thereafter absconded with the child.
“Upon receipt of the report, detectives of the division were immediately mobilised. Motor parks and strategic locations within the area were placed under surveillance while intelligence-led operations were intensified.
“Acting on credible intelligence, detectives tracked the suspects to their hideout at Kekere Ekun area of Mowe on 18/05/2026 at about 7:55pm, where the stolen child was rescued alongside two other children found in their possession,” the statement read.
It added that the husband and wife suspects were arrested and taken into custody.
“Preliminary investigation revealed that one of the children found with the suspects had earlier been declared missing in a 2024 child-stealing case, in which the child was taken from a hairdressing salon using the same deceptive method of pretending to offer assistance.
“The biological parents of two of the rescued children have been contacted and have positively identified their wards,” the statement added.
Babaseyi said the case has been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Eleweran, Abeokuta, for discreet investigation.
The Commissioner of Police, Ogun State Command, CP Bode Ojajuni, commended the swift response, professionalism, and commitment of the officers and men of the Mowe Division, noting that their proactive efforts led to the arrest of the suspects and rescue of the children.
He reiterated the command’s resolve to sustain the fight against child trafficking, abduction, and other violent crimes across the state.
Members of the public were urged to remain vigilant and report suspicious movements or criminal activities through the Ogun State Police Command emergency lines.
News
Amaechi: I didn’t Buy Form To Be Atiku’s Running Mate
“I am in the presidential race for the ticket,” former Rivers State Governor Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi insisted yesterday.
According to him, suggestions that he should step down for former Vice President Atiku Abubakar are uncalled for.
Amaechi, Atiku and businessman Hayatudeen Muhammed picked up nomination forms for the presidential ticket of the African Democratic Congress (ADC).
The race narrowed to the three of them following the withdrawal of other hopefuls – Peter Obi and Rabiu Kwankwaso – from the party.
Amaechi, a former Speaker of the Rivers State House of Assembly and ex-Minister of Transportation, said in an interview: “There is nothing like consensus for now. The party leaders have not had any meeting on that. Everybody is preparing for the primary election.”
Amaechi also firmly ruled out accepting a vice-presidential slot under any arrangement within the opposition coalition.
“Please stop that. I did not buy a form to be Vice President,” he said.
Amaechi argued that Nigeria’s current economic and governance challenges require experienced but energetic leadership, noting that many leading political figures are already advanced in age.
According to him, his experience as Speaker of the Rivers State House of Assembly, Chairman of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum and Minister of Transportation has equipped him with the administrative capacity needed to govern the country.
On zoning and national inclusion, he argued that Nigeria’s political realities still make power rotation necessary, while stressing the need for every region to feel a sense of belonging within the federation.
“If they have to be in Nigeria, then they must have a sense of belonging,” he said while addressing grievances in the Southeast.
Atiku, who is contesting the ticket alongside him, has criticised the zoning of the presidency as unnecessary.
He said competence, rather than where a candidate comes from, should be paramount.
Amaechi also dismissed suggestions that the ADC had been weakened by the exit of some opposition figures, insisting the party remained a viable platform capable of challenging the APC in the next election cycle.
“If ADC was not strong, the government would not be focusing attention on it,” he said.
On governance, Amaechi accused the current administration of weakening institutions and eroding the independence of elected officials, particularly governors.
He said: “For the first time, I’m criticising governors. In our time, governors had independence. Now, they are all scared.”
He alleged that federal institutions were being used to frustrate opposition politicians and parties ahead of the 2027 elections.
“The president wakes up in the morning and he’s worried about ADC. He’s fighting ADC, arresting ADC members,” Amaechi alleged.
The former minister, however, said he still held President Bola Ahmed Tinubu in high regard despite his disagreements with the direction of governance under the current administration.
“I have high regard for President Tinubu, but I do not agree with the way the country is being governed,” he stated.
Amaechi maintained that he had no regrets over his role in the formation of the APC in 2013, insisting that the party at the time emerged in response to prevailing governance concerns.
He, however, expressed confidence that disagreements within the opposition coalition would eventually be resolved once parties conclude their primary processes and candidates emerge ahead of the 2027 elections.
Obi appears before NDC panel
Obi yesterday appeared before the presidential screening panel of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) in Abuja ahead of the 2027 general election.
Obi, who is the sole aspirant for the party’s presidential ticket, arrived at the party’s national headquarters around 6:45 p.m. wearing his trademark black kaftan and cap.
Accompanied by Senator Victor Umeh (Anambra Central), Obi submitted his Expression of Interest and Nomination forms through an aide.
He arrived shortly after the chairman of the screening committee, Senator Sam Egwu.
Speculation about Obi being the sole aspirant intensified following the decision of the NDC to suspend the sale of presidential nomination forms after he collected his form and extended the deadline for the purchase of forms for other elective positions.
However, both the Obi camp and the leadership of the party have repeatedly denied the existence of any consensus arrangement.
The party constituted a 17-member screening committee headed by Sam Egwu, while Reuben Egwuaba will serve as secretary.
Other members of the panel are Comrade Babatunde Ali as deputy chairman, Buba Galadima, Mohammed Sani Takori, Daniel Onifade, Ikeddy Isiguzo, Wole Adedayo, Dr. Osusu Osusu, Chief Asukewe Ikoawaji, Prof. Udenta Udenta, Frederick Owotorufa, Hannatu Tanko, Dogo Shammar, Henry Obaze, Clement Agiagie and Fatima Musa Abba.
The party said the committee would oversee the screening of aspirants seeking to contest elective offices on the platform of the NDC, including the presidency, governorships and seats in the National Assembly.
Prepare for ‘political war’, NDC chairman warns
National Chairman of the NDC, Senator Moses Cleopas, predicted a “political war not meant for unprepared minds” as preparations for the general elections continue.
Cleopas spoke yesterday in Yenagoa while receiving defectors from the Bayelsa PDP, including former governorship aspirant Reuben Okoya, Diepreye Leghemo, and women mobiliser Esther Saiyo.
Describing the NDC as the Biblical Noah’s Ark for Nigerians seeking good governance, Cleopas predicted a political battle that is not meant for unprepared minds, adding that the party’s founder was a man who would not venture into unproductive political investments.
He charged the defectors to first believe in the ideology of the founder of the party, which is anchored on service to the people, before thinking about their political ambitions.
He said: “Don’t be afraid. Political power is not given but contested. Until they see the power element in you, they won’t give it to you. You must be ready and convinced in your mind that you can take over.
“Senator Seriake Dickson does not invest in a fight he won’t win. He has invested all his political capital in the NDC, and he cannot afford to fail.”
He described Reuben Okoya as decent, focused, intelligent, incorruptible and willing to serve, pointing out that the lifestyle of the former coordinator of the Abuja Metropolitan Management Council (AMMC) represents what the NDC stands for.
Okoya, a native of Yenagoa Local Government Area, said that after resigning from the PDP, he decided to pitch his political tent with the NDC after considering other parties, emphasising that the NDC shares the same political ideology as his, with service to the people as its focal point.
He said he had spent many years serving Bayelsa and Nigeria and would not tire of doing so as long as he lived.
News
They Told Tinubu I Wanted Him Dead” — Shettima Fires Back
Vice President Kashim Shettima on Tuesday revealed that barely three months after President Bola Tinubu was sworn into office, some people from Borno State visited the President and warned him to stop wearing the traditional attire he had given him during the 2023 campaign.
He said they alleged the garments had been used to charm the President and would lead to his death.
Shettima, however, said Tinubu not only rejected the claim but responded by deliberately wearing the clothing for an entire week as a public rebuke to what he called a story that “did not add up.”
The Vice President disclosed this in his address at the public presentation of the autobiography of the former Head of State, Gen Yakubu Gowon (retd), titled “My Life of Duty and Allegiance,” in Abuja on Tuesday.
Shettima, who represented the President at the event, used the incident to illustrate what he described as the dangerous spread of suspicion in Nigerian public life.
He also compared the rising spate of suspicion with the Sultan of Sokoto’s account of how Gowon would receive gallons of fura sent weekly from the Sultan’s family in Sokoto to Dodan Barracks in Lagos.
He noted that Gowon accepted the gesture without any suspicion, in a spirit of trust that he said has since been eroded.
The VP said, “His Eminence the Sultan of Sokoto had been narrating the story of the family of the Sultan sending gallons of fura every week to Gen Yakubu Gowon in Dodan Barracks, because of the trust and confidence Gen Gowon was willingly receiving it without any suspicion.
“But now the game is different. Suspicion smears our relationships, and it ought not to be. We are essentially one people tied to a common destiny.”
Narrating his personal story involving Tinubu, Shettima recalled that in the lead-up to the 2023 presidential primaries, as the President canvassed support across the North, he sourced traditional Borno attire and a cap for him to wear at campaign events, so the candidate could blend in with the northern crowd.
He said positive feedback from Tinubu’s aides proved that the clothing fitted well, and Tinubu wore it repeatedly in the campaign.
However, the confrontation came just months after the victory.
Shettima said he had travelled to Beijing, China, in October 2023 to represent Tinubu at the 3rd Belt and Road Initiative Forum, held from October 16 to 18, one of his early high-profile foreign assignments as Vice President.
When he returned from China, Tinubu summoned him and delivered a message from a group of people about the clothes.
He narrated, “When I came back from China, where I had represented him at the Belt and Road Initiative Conference, he said: ‘Sit down. Your people came to me and said I should stop wearing those dresses you gave me. They said I must have been charmed, and that I am going to die and you will become the president.’”
Shettima noted that Tinubu dismantled the accusation because it did not add up.
According to Shettima, he responded, “Their story did not add up, because when you gave me those dresses, I was an aspirant. I wasn’t even the candidate. Neither were you the vice presidential candidate.”
However, he said the President proceeded to wear the dresses for a week.
“For one week, to prove to them that he is not a fetish, he wore those dresses.
“These are some of the gimmicks taking place in power circles in Nigeria nowadays,” Shettima told the audience.
Shettima poured encomiums on Gowon, saying his life embodied the opposite of sectarian suspicion.
He referenced Plateau State, whose governor, Caleb Mutfwang, was present, and urged an end to the cycles of violence by highlighting the linguistic, genealogical and historical ties among communities currently divided by bloodshed on the Plateau.
On Gowon, whom he called “the last man standing” among Nigeria’s post-independence military generation, Shettima said the autobiography is “a bottom of memory at a time when our country needs a discipline of remembrance.”
He said, “There are people who are remembered before they leave office.
“There are others whose memory endures because the office became, in their hands, an instrument of national meaning. General Gowon belongs to the second company.”
He also quoted Martin Luther King Jr. in closing, calling on Nigerians to either unite or face collective ruin.
“Let us learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools,” he stated.
-
Politics1 day agoTrouble For Defectors: List of Disqualified Senators From PDP to APC To Seek Return Tickets
-
Politics1 day agoBreaking: NDC Announces Who Will Be Its Presidential Candidate For 2027
-
News11 hours agoThey Told Tinubu I Wanted Him Dead” — Shettima Fires Back
-
Business2 days agoFirm Unveils First Phase Of 100MW Data Centre
-
Sports12 hours agoEPL: Guardiola Speaks On Leaving Man City After Losing Title To Arsenal
-
Politics12 hours agoAPC Primaries: Governorship Aspirants Shun Consensus Deal In 10 states
-
News11 hours agoAmaechi: I didn’t Buy Form To Be Atiku’s Running Mate
-
Sports2 days agoNeymar Included In Brazil World Cup Squad
